Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Natasha Journal 3

The past week at the Global Healing clinic has finally taken on a semblance of routine, and of continuity – for these next couple of weeks, anyways. Dr. Lea Cunningham left the clinic the previous weekend and moved to West Bay, where she plans to relax and enjoy a short vacation before returning to the states. Meanwhile, Dr. Anne Tran, Dr. Leonel Toledo, Dr. Charles and I are to be a team until the end of June. This past week gave us a taste of the teamwork dynamic, and I must say, we all get along wonderfully. Both of the American doctors are highly trained yet approachable, often taking the time to explain, clarify, and illustrate to me some of the medical information behind their diagnoses and treatments of their patients. While administrative work and triage have inherent value for an intern like me, it really is the one-on-one time I get to spend with the doctors that has made all the difference. The learning experience is incredible. These doctors provide an amazing wealth of knowledge, and it is my privilege to be working so closely with them on a day-to-day basis.

I have pretty thoroughly settled into my duties as clinic intern by now, and as such, I am able to finish my tasks more quickly and effectively, leaving me more time to observe and shadow the physicians as they work. I also had the opportunity to accompany them at the weekly Wednesday-afternoon medical talk held in the upstairs room – Dr. Toledo gave an interesting presentation (in Spanish) on the causes, symptoms, and treatment options for common childhood disabilities on this island, complete with pictures and a PowerPoint presentation, and free Bojangles for all doctors attending (which was another important lesson for me: provide free food, and the audience will come!). I think this is an excellent way for all the doctors at the hospital – American, Cuban, and Honduran alike – to better collaborate, share their experiences and expertise, and thus optimize the quality of care they provide their patients. Plus, it's a great way for them to get to know one another and build a sense of community within the hospital – something I feel would greatly benefit all involved.

My past week has marked another important milestone of my trip – I have officially crossed the halfway point of my internship and am now heading into the final two weeks of this adventure. I know that I still have much to do and see and learn, but I cannot deny just how pleased and proud I am to have at least gotten this far, learned this much, and enjoyed myself during the three weeks I have been here. For me this trip has been different from anything I had ever experienced before, my first solo journey to a new country. It has already done wonders on my Spanish, and I look forward to whatever the final two weeks will bring. Now that Peggy and several of her volunteers have left for the States, it just serves to add more to that “solo adventurer” feeling. (Although new volunteers have also been coming in regularly; I just haven't gotten to know them very well yet). My optimism might also have to do with the fact that I have almost fully recovered from my viral illness that made last weekend miserable. The plan is to stay happy, healthy, and strong for two more weeks.

Three weeks into my internship here, I feel as though I am on the threshold between two distinct states of mind – in a transitional state somewhere between an islander and an American. Three weeks is not an incredibly long amount of time; in fact, it is hardly much time at all. But be as that may, three weeks is plenty to gain an appreciation for the way of life here– the people, their culture, their needs, and their interactions with the world beyond these waters. I feel somewhat more immersed in this culture, but the ties to home are still strong. I now feel equipped to deal with perpetual power failures, sand crabs infesting by bathroom sink, and dog urine stinking up my front porch...take it in stride, I say. During a beautiful afternoon on Anthony's Key yesterday, I discovered that, maybe if I were to stay here another two months instead of the two weeks that remain of my trip...I may never want to come back home.