Sunday, August 19, 2007

Vanessa Journal 4

My time in Roatan is coming to an end, and I can honestly say that I’m going to miss it! My fourth week here was pretty busy. Most of the diagnoses at clinic were skin conditions, specifically scabies and impetigo. Viral syndrome, diarrhea and fever were also common. There were also some familiar faces at clinic. The mother who had been feeding her baby rice mixed with water returned to the RVPC, claiming that her baby was still having diarrhea. Dr. Rhee explained that the baby may have a milk protein allergy, and gave the mother a different, simpler formula to feed him. Dr. Dunlop gave a referral to admit a little boy overnight at the hospital because of his difficulty breathing and asthma.

Peggy and Dr. Patrick arranged to have a medical brigade in La Colonia this week. Everything was set up at the church and there was a great turnout! Along with Peggy and Dr. Patrick came Dr. Rhee, Dr. Dunlop, Bea and Joe (two physicians assistants), Kathy (a nurse) and her daughter Megan, Igor and David (two of Peggy’s volunteers) and myself. I spent most of the time with Dr. Rhee and Dr. Dunlop, helping them and translating for them. Most of the patients we saw had skin conditions, including scabies and impetigo. This was expected because of the lack of running water in La Colonia. Medication for parasites was given to many of the patients as well. At one point, I found myself surrounded by about ten cute kids asking for meds against “lombrices.” Even after the doctors saw them, the children stayed close by and were very excited to have their picture taken!

Also this week, I got certified in scuba diving with Igor and Molly! We did four dives and we are planning to do another one soon with Dr. Rhee. We’ve spent time at West Bay Beach. We are also planning to do the canopy tours and the dolphin encounter at Anthony’s Key. We said our goodbyes to Dr. Dunlop, who left today back to the States. I’m sad to see him go – he was very informative and a pleasure to be around at clinic. Tomorrow I’ll be picking up Edwin, the next intern, from the airport. I’ll be training him the next few days and showing him around the island.
I can’t believe my time is almost up in Roatan! This has been one of the best experiences I’ve ever had and I’ve met so many great people to stay in touch with! I’m also going to miss the island lifestyle once I’m back to school in L.A. One thing is for sure – I definitely plan on coming back as soon as I can!