Sunday, December 02, 2007

Christine Journal 11

Once again, my update schedule was thrown off this week, as I was traveling until Tuesday night.
I had a wonderful trip with my family and was very happy that I got the opportunity to see the mainland with them. We spent a few days in a lodge at Pico Bonito by La Ceiba. The staff there was all Honduran and we had them pretty much to ourselves, as there weren't any other tourists there, and it was really interesting to spend time with them. Our guide was a native of the Mosquito coast and his knowledge of the rainforest was incredible. It was great to learn from him about all different uses of plants and animals. It just really brings to life the importance of conserving lands that are being cut down so rapidly now.
The trip to El Progreso, take two, was once again a let down. I went with Jessica and Neri, the patient and mother I took about a month ago because of her scratched corneas. The clinic had a visiting plastic surgeon who was going to operate on her eyelids so that her eyelashes no longer scratched against the cornea, but the surgery was canceled when she had a cold and thus couldn't undergo general anesthesia. I really wished someone had warned us about that ahead of time, as it was a long trip for the mother and daughter to make. The clinic said we'd have to wait until the next plastic surgeon came, which could be another six months. They normally get two a year, but don't yet have next year's schedule. Since it's such a time-sensitive procedure, though, I'm hoping to find somewhere else she can go to sooner. It's just really important in the future that we get the patients cleared for surgery by the pediatricians here before we send to the mainland, even if we're not sure that they will get operated on. The clinic was going to have us visit a pediatrician there before the surgery for approval before they realized that Jessica had a cold, which could have been complicated, as we didn't know any doctors there.

It was also interesting to see the clinic's way of charging for surgeries. They take the patient into a private room and go through a number of questions to see the economic state of the patient. For example, they asked whether she owned land or a house, whether she had electricity or running water, and how much she spent a week on food. I was with her at the time, and did say that the clinic would be helping with the price of surgery, but other than that all her answers clearly showed that she didn't have much extra money to spend on the care. The price of the surgery still came out at $150 dollars, clearly way out of her price range. I know that the surgeries are incredibly expensive, but I'm wondering about how patients are able to pay for them. The clinic is a non-profit started by Americans to help poor Hondurans with medical care, and I just found it very surprising that they'd still charge someone like the patient I was with 150 dollars. Maybe it was because I was there, but I really hope that other people who can't afford to pay that much don't get turned away.