Sunday, June 29, 2008

Dawn Journal 1

I've just finished my first full week at clinic here – 11 days on the island total. The clinic is what I expected, having heard descriptions from previous interns. The hospital itself is pretty run down, with the electricity going out often and the water running less so. The first days, I learned how to triage patients and enter the appropriate data into the computer. At first, I was nervous that my Spanish wouldn't be good enough—that the patients wouldn't be able to understand me and vice versa. That fear has abated somewhat, as I've picked up the general routine, but sometimes I still feel inept at what I do, due to the language.

With patients, I've noticed that there are a few diagnoses that are quite common. Otitis media, scabies, and internal parasites seem to be popular. I've also noticed that many of the mothers are extremely young. Only a few fathers have accompanied children. During triage, I ask all families where they live and have come to wonder if there is a trend in sickness due to what barrio people come from. Most children are below 50th percentile in weight and height.

After clinic, I have been volunteering at the local orphanage. There are 10 children there and they vary from 2 to 18 years of age. They seem to be well cared for, though the level of discipline is a bit low. I believe this may be due in part to the rapid turnover in administration. The children are friendly and energetic, and I wonder what kinds of effects the lack of a consistent adult figure in their life will have.

In addition to the RVPC, I've gotten to know the island pretty well. So far, I have visited both the western and eastern ends of the islands, hung out at a couple of resorts, snorkeled almost every day, watched a dolphin show, hiked up into La Colonia, and gone SNUBA diving. The other volunteers at Peggy's clinic have been welcome and inviting, which I have appreciated immensely.

This coming week, a new American doctor, Dr. Gross, will be coming to work in the clinic. I look forward to meeting him and possibly shadowing him to see what kinds of thought processes he goes through. More to come soon!