Thursday, September 11, 2008

Stephanie Journal 4

It is my last week in Roatan! It feels like I just got here, but also like I've been here for a long time. It's strange. When you're on the island, you get into a routine. Mine was waking up at 6:40, getting to the clinic, leaving around 2 to go to the orphanage, and then working at the orphanage for a couple hours. This life compared to the life at school is so different. There's just an island feel to life here. You can study in the afternoons, be productive, or just waste it away snorkeling, kayaking, watching TV, cooking,... the list goes on. At the end of the day though, I feel good that I'm able to help people at the clinic, and also teach the kids in the afternoon. it feels like I'm actually accomplishing something!!

Last week at the clinic, a senora told me that her daughter had worms. I asked "have you seen them?" and she said "si" and started opening her bag to find something. Before I knew it, she was pulling out a jar with a long white worm squirming around in it and said that it was from her MOUTH. I almost puked. Almost. I got a good shot of that on my camera - I'll try to post it up.

The clinic actually closed a couple days last week because of the strike of the social services doctors. Apparently, there is one year when a doctor is considered 'social service" - they have to work to pay off the medical school that they have received. Currently, they are on strike because there is some unfair procedure occurring in the system. Some private school is breaking the law so all the SS doctors from all of Honduras are on strike. Because of that, part of the hospital shut down and the external clinics (including ours) shut down temporarily.

The kids at the orphanage are getting better at spelling! Their new favorite word - "animal". It has 6 letters! SIX! Compared to a couple weeks ago, when they couldn't even say "the" or spell "the" - it's an improvement. TRULY. The kids had a list of 60 words that they have to learn how to spell and I really thougt it was impossible - but the kids have proven me wrong. They have gotten good at spelling almost all the words. They do forget their vowels sometimes, which is a hard mistake to correct. I'm so glad they're actually learning!

This experience overall has been a good one. The island is beautiful and the people are relatively nice. They're a bit racist though, and haven't seen too many Asian individuals so I would say that's the only downside of coming to a place like Roatan. It is a good mix of cultures - there's the tourist groups in Westend, the local Black population, the "gringos" or expats from the US, and the Hondurans who come from the mainland. Considering that Roatan used to be a English speaking island, it's pretty surprising that everyone speaks Spanish now - mostly because of the mainlanders coming to the island in hopes of making good money. I think the mix of cultures was definitely the most distinctive part of Roatan and it was interested meeting a large range of people - from meeting a Belgian who grew up in Central America to volunteer doctors who work here 7 months out of the year. It's definitely an environment that I will miss.