Friday, May 15, 2009

Chrissy Journal 15

This week was just Dr. Mario and I in the clinic. Sabreen left last Friday, she is a really nice person to get to know and a great sounding board for me as I am wrapping up this internship and figuring out what steps I need to take to get into a medical career. Dr. Hott left Thursday, I found him to be an inspirational doctor, and hope I can be half the doctor he is. He has an amazing attitude and is overflowing with energy and great ideas. I’m so glad I had the opportunity to work with both of them.
Again, Friday was a holiday. Labor Day, April is quite the celebratory month out here.
Mario admitted a baby to phototherapy this week, not quite as high as the last baby, but jaundice, she also went home the next day, after her bilirubin levels dropped down to 11.

Swine flu has become quite the scare down here. They had a meeting on Tuesday afternoon for the doctors, which I did not attend, but they are worried about it. I think Mario is going to try to contact Dr. Howard about getting some Tamiflu for the hospital. The hospital wanted us to start filling out special paperwork for everyone that comes through with a cold. Can you imagine what that would look like from our clinic, that’s every other patient?! I think they talked them down to reporting only the cases that look like they could be the flu or pneumonia, because I never saw any special paperwork to fill out.
Yelsi gained 200 grams! She’ll come in next week for a weight check and the following week she’ll go back to San Pedro for a check up.

Dr. Hott did a presentation on pallitive care on Wednesday and even had the surgeon and the internal medicine doctor in attendance, impressive. It was a good presentation on prescribing medications and helping families of patients that are dying. I thought it was very interesting, and I think it was something new for the social service doctors. They seemed to really appreciate a list he made of how to talk to the family of a deceased patient and what to do to help them by just taking a few extra minutes.
Andrea arrived Wednesday and started in the clinic Thursday. We showed her around and got her oriented. I think she’ll do a great job and have a wonderful experience.