Thursday, July 02, 2009

Michelle Journal 5

It is unbelievable to me how fast this internship has gone by, the new
intern, Amanda arrived safely on Saturday and is getting used to the
island. It seems strange to be leaving after finally getting used to
the hospital and figuring out how to avoid some of the frustrations it
poses. My parents are down here visiting and explaining to them how
the clinic works and what I have seen and learnedis amazing to hear
outloud. Although frustrating that mothers give thier kids antibiotic
even if not needed and babies and children are malnutritioned and
encouraged to eat soda and chips I have really learned the importance
of health education. I know that the doctors in the clinic do a
wonderful job treating these patients but is is frustrating that so
many of these sicknesses could be prevented with education and when we
tell the mothers about proper nutrition and hydration they seem
genuinely thankful to have been told. I think that maybe the schools
and community centers around the island could start doing education
programs that would be very beneficial. Working in this clinic has
been an amazing experience and really opened my eyes to the healthcare
much of the world receives which is in stark contrast to the great
albeit expensive healthcare I am lucky enough to receive. These last
few days I am soaking up as much of the sun, diving and mango I can
handle and taking lots of pictures as well as training Amanda to take
over my place.