Monday, August 27, 2012

Molly Journal #1

I had my eyes peeled, not knowing what to expect. Israel and I walked single file along the road through Coxen Hole. We made it to the hospital finally. I stepped through the doorway and saw patients sitting on wooden benches lining the hallways. Israel showed me the ropes and for the most part I watched him triage the patients. I knew I could do exactly what he was doing but I was so nervous because I respected the patients so much and didn't know the best way to earn their respect.

Every day patients and their family come to the hospital early in the morning, around six or so. I don't get to the clinic until 7:30 a.m. and the doctor until  almost a couple hours later. We finish up with patients anywhere from 12-1 p.m. So patients could be waiting for up to six hours! The patience the families have makes me respect them. Many of the parents have to miss work to bring in their kids. They have many other things they have to do and many times are torn between waiting for care and leaving early without being seen by the doctor. At the clinic we try and do everything to make things work out for the patients.

I learned that I'm at the pediatric clinic to do a job that many people can do, but I don't want to just do what anyone else can do. I want to do more. I try to get there early and get started as soon as I can. Everyday I fill my backpack with donations of toothbrushes, toothpaste, latex gloves, breathing masks and emergence response kits I brought with me to Roatán. I brought a large suitcase of donations and still haven't unloaded it all. These donations serve more than just their normal function. The colorful toothbrushes come in handy when the younger kids start crying because I have to weigh them, measure their height, or take their temperature. The girls love the bright pink and yellow ones and the boys the red or blue ones. I love to see every once in a while, an excited kid who comes in the door and runs straight to the small table in the corner, opens the crayon box and starts to color. I usually let them be until I have to torches them by taking their temperature etc.

Some of the kids and newborns come to the clinic just for a routine checkup, but not all of them. It's hard for them to be happy and smiling when they are uncomfortable. When they come into the clinic I just can't wait for the kids to get out the door because I know they will get their medications soon, which means they will feel better even sooner. All of the kids that come in are precious and I love to see them healthy and smile.

The people in Roatán are all incredibly welcoming and kind. I thoroughly enjoy giving back to the community in any way I can.