Monday, July 15, 2013

Alexandra Journal #1

Thus far,  I have really enjoyed interacting with the locals from Roatan. Albeit the limited resources in the Hospital and canceled consultations, the mothers of the sick children or even children that have an appointment for just a check up, are persistent in getting the care that they need. They arrive early in the morning around 7:30 and stay until they see the doctor which is around 11 or sometimes noon. I saw one patient at both the Coxen Hole Hospital and Peggy's clinic that brought her infant son for respiratory problems. I talked to her at Peggy's clinic and she said that the cough medicine given to her at the C.H. hospital was not working. She was waiting at Peggy's clinic since 7 am and I talked to her at around 1. 

Another obstacle the mothers face is that they might not be able to receive consultation at all for that day because the Doctor has an emergency or several births to attend to in the maternity ward. This past Friday after the cancellation of consultations was made, I took a woman with her newborn that had an urgent note to the emergency and another woman with lab results to find the doctor in the maternity ward because she felt the results could be alarming and her child's stomach was extended. I saw the doctor's genuine concern when she saw the results and told her to go to emergency.

In addition, concerns of the patients include cost of medication and lab tests. The doctor in the pediatric clinic is personable and tells the mother not to fail her, in regards to getting the medication that is needed for the child to get better. 

I had come into contact with an HIV positive woman who had lost or not completely formed fingers, who wondered into the pediatric clinic. She had asked for milk that is given to her for free at the hospital. Since I did not know anything about free milk, I gave her lempiras to buy the milk. In retrospect, I wish I could have found the area of the hospital that gives aid to HIV mothers. I did tell, Ingrid, the social worker in the hospital. 

One thing that I have found great joy in is translating for medical and PA  students and those that have come to Roatan to volunteer before their residency at Peggy's clinic. I like being able to help the doctors understand the main concerns of the patient and helping the patient understand their illness and treatment regime. In my last clinic visit, I helped comfort a woman who got results from a mammogram test that the results are most likely benign. The doctor's note, from the mainland, cited that the nodules were most probably benign, however, if clinically indicated a sonogram should be done to verify. However, the woman cannot afford a sonogram and the PA told her that if symptoms arise that she should come back, but not to worry too much.  I also helped consult a woman that feared she had malaria. She forwent the test for malaria and dengue and was given treatment. Another encounter I had at the clinic was a mother whose child could not be treated at Peggy's clinic and was told to go to the hospital. What was interesting in talking to her was that she had to go to her mother's home, because she explained she was not married, before going to admit her baby to the hospital; she had spent the whole day at the clinic. I urged her to go to the hospital right after talking to her mother. 

Finally, I found interesting the explanation of why the American doctor decided to specialize in pediatrics. He said, he found a great satisfaction in treating children since most of Adult's problems chronic conditions are from their actions, such as eating badly, not exercising and smoking for years. Children are helpless, most often what they have is not at fault of their own, and it is gratifying to be able to look forward to their progressive development.