Friday, August 23, 2013

Heather Journal #2

This week I basically learned how to trouble shoot -- and I will say I didn't always do an awesome job. Unfortunately Dr. Cerritos' baby was ill and she wasn't able to make it to the hospital. Communication gaps made it difficult to know when she was here and if she were coming. It was disappointing telling the mothers who had waited with me that she was not in when I thought she was but hopefully she will be back next week. I sat in the clinic for a bit each day in case anyone had questions I could help with. I gave a few women my phone number so they could call before they came in to see if the doctor would be here and I put signs on the door each day. In the afternoons, I continued at Clinica Esperanza working in the pharmacy. I also checked out the Sandcastle Library, a really neat non-profit that is currently running an afterschool hands-on science education project called BrainSpace focused around experiment-based learning. Visit their website to learn more -- the whole thing is really cool and they have a bunch of computers as well. I think that's a great idea since I see kids responding well to technology here -- as with in other places. This weekend my goal is to put together a good brochure about toddler nutrition to distribute here. There is currently a nutritionist at Miss Peggys who is working on a community health project here so I have asked her for her help. Then I need someone to translate it/make sure my Spanish is okay.