Sunday, November 11, 2007

Max Journal 8

I started out the week by holding down the fort at the Global Healing clinic while Christine was still on the mainland. There was no volunteer physician so I worked alone with Charles until Wednesday when I switched to working at Peggy's. We moved efficiently through a pretty high patient volume, and I was honestly impressed at how many patients Charles could see on his own in such a short amount of time. Charles is applying for jobs for after finishing his second Global Healing Fellowship in December, so he has been frantically preparing a heap of paperwork. I wonder if there is a functional reason why "diplomas" certifying participation in conferences and continuing medical education courses are so important here. It seems like a never-ending occupation of a lot of doctors to get many pieces of paper with the appropriate stamps and signatures to certify and acclaim them for their accomplishments. To a certain extent I think the obsession with "diploms" and "reconicimientos" is cultural (some people just like physical representations of their accomplishments), but I also wonder if there are big problems with forgery of certificates.

Christine got home thoroughly exhausted from her journey on Tuesday, and I was happy to have her company again. I think she made good friends with the mom and baby, met some interesting medical professionals on the mainland, and learned a lot about international medicine in Honduras. On Thursday I worked in the pharmacy at Peggy's and went to the ferry dock to pick up a patient that didn't end up coming. This patient was supposed to come to get an excisional biopsy from an ENT doctor working at Peggy's, which would have been an unusual reversal of the standard shipment of Roatan's patients to the
mainland to receive specialized care.

On Thursday evening Peggy, Christine, Becky (a future Global Healing intern) and I responded to a car accident near Sandy Bay. We were with Peggy when she received a call that one of the carpenters working at her clinic had totaled his car and his wife who was in the passenger seat was unresponsive. By the time we arrived on the scene, the passenger was awake and ready to leave, but we skipped over about every protocol that I ever learned in EMT class and walked her to the passenger seat of our parked pick-up truck. I was amazed that we didn't even have a spine board to provide some degree of immobilization, and I can only imagine how people who are not personal friends with Peggy deal with traumatic emergencies on the island.
Because there were no emergency services (police, fire, nor ambulance) on the scene, traffic continued passing by us on the narrow two-lane road. As we were slowly pulling out into traffic, I committed the cardinal sin of emergency response: I put myself and the other responders in danger by colliding with a passing taxi. Honestly, the cab swerved at me and in an American traffic court I'm sure that I could have reasonably argued my innocence, but in the moment none of that mattered because now there were two accidents and still no formal system for sorting anything out. I didn't even know if there was a tow truck on the island. I sent Peggy, Christine, Becky, and the patient to the clinic in the truck and I stayed behind to sort things out with the cab driver. As it turned out we had hardly collided at all and I had rather miraculously managed to snap his bumper off without denting or scratching it at all, so we talked it out and settled with a small amount of cash and a handshake and without further legal complications. I was very relieved when I got home and learned that the passenger was without serious injury and our hectic night was coming to a close with no more than a few scrapes, bruises, and some property damage.

Friday at the clinic was fun as I showed Becky around the pharmacy and celebrated Betty the pharmacist's birthday. Around 9:15 a.m. I received a phone call from a friend of mine in Coxen Hole who is a middle-aged woman that recently moved to Roatan from the United States to start a spa/beauty salon. She was very upset as she hurriedly told me about a man in her home who had some serious skin problem and needed urgent medical assistance. I managed to ascertain over the phone that it was not really a real emergent problem (no respiratory distress, no impairment of circulation or sensation), and I instructed
her to put him in a cab and send him to the clinic. About an hour later I received another call from my friend stating that there had been no available cabs (cruise ship day!) and asking if I could come pick him up. I drove to her home (cautiously after the previous night's debacle) and arrived to find a 41-year old man in a lot of pain as the skin all over his body appeared to be peeling off. I drove (still cautiously) back to the clinic and learned that he was from Diamond Rock (a Black Islander community on the far east end of Roatan), he had had skin problems for just over a year, and he had come to Coxen Hole the previous day to go to the hospital and had been sent away then and again on Friday morning for unclear reasons. Apparently he knew my friend through a mutual acquaintance and, lacking other recourse, had hobbled all the way across town on badly swollen feet from the hospital to her house and had collapsed on her floor. I arrived at the clinic and asked the patient to remain in the
car as I prepared a treatment room and announced to the doctors his arrival (the clinic has no functioning landline telephone and I was unable to reach anyone via cell phone on the way over, which is a problem in and of itself). By the time I had a room prepared and retrieved the wheelchair to help him in, the security guard had helped him out of the car and onto the clinic porch, so I wheeled him through the clinic in front of a crowd of raised eyes. Some other volunteers rather-inappropriately left their workplaces in the clinic and rushed to take pictures of him while ostensibly "triaging him" and I felt like I had brought him into a very uncomfortable position, but of course at the time this was the price of much-needed urgent medical attention. This feeling touches on a characteristic of American medical care that many people have commented on: the objectification of patients and their diseases. While I cannot imagine taking pictures of a patient without a specific medical excuse (for instance to consult with other doctors regarding the case), I have often appreciated being called in by a doctor to teach me something from a patient's condition. The truth is that as a student of medicine and of public health, I walk a delicate line between learning from and treating patients, and different people have different ideas of what is "appropriate" treatment of a patient.

Anyway, back to the case...the doctor decided that the most immediate treatment necessary would be a warm bath to moisturize and exfoliate the dry peeling skin. The clinic does have a working shower and a water heater, but because the inpatient wards haven't opened yet there is no demand for hot water so the boiler was turned off and no hot water was available. The nearest available shower was at a motel owned by a friend of Peggy's, so I drove the patient over there. I then entered the shower fully clothed with the now naked patient and proceeded to abrade the dead skin off of his entire body for 45 minutes. It can only be described as an unusually intimate encounter between strangers that I have since reflected a lot on. The severe psoriasis that affected him was an extreme auto-immune disease that had only one probable explanation. As I washed every inch of his body and learned more about him than I may have ever wished to, I felt like I was finally doing what I came here to do: helping someone. He felt tremendous relief as his skin regained moisture and after the shower when we applied Vaseline and hydrocortisone to his entire body. As the water dripped down my face and I looked at my soaking wet leather shoes flecked with bits of dead skin, I started to reconsider what it means for me to help another person. There is a little more to this story than I can include here (ask me about some interesting tattoos when we meet someday), but I can say that that 45 minute shower taught me a lot about myself and the meaning of altruism. After that industrial-strength exfoliation, he dressed in some new clothing and left feeling like a whole new person. I gave him cab fare, various creams and soaps, a few medications and vitamins, and strict instructions to bathe twice weekly in the sea and return to the clinic in two weeks. I hope he does come back.

After that overly stimulating Thursday and Friday, I enjoyed a Saturday swimming at West Bay Beach and baking pretzels at home followed by eating Sunday brunch with the new Global Healing resident and scuba diving.

On Tuesday and Thursday afternoons we finally were able to get our much-awaited tutoring program started, which has been a lot of fun. The students we are working with lack some amazingly fundamental math skills, but are really very bright students that I feel we can help a lot. I look forward to continuing this tutoring for the rest of the time that we're here and I hope that the other tutors and students are enjoying it as much as I am. Alright, this seems like plenty of text for now. I hope you had an exciting week too.

Oh, and I'd like to say a big "thank you" for your personal response to my and Christine's journal entries. I can only imagine how busy you both are, but after spending a while going through many of the same trials and tribulations that you both have experienced here, I greatly appreciated reading some of your perspectives on things. I also really enjoyed meeting the new resident from Dartmouth this morning, so I hope that she – as a young female doctor – has an overall good experience with Global Healing. Thanks again and I'll talk at you again next week.