Sunday, November 18, 2007

Max Journal 9

I've had a good first week at Peggy's Clinic now that Christine is working every day at the Global Healing Clinic. I started the week out with Betty in the pharmacy filling drug orders and running some random jobs around town. Betty the pharmacist left for the United States on Wednesday, so since then I have been the official pharmacist for Peggy's clinic. It is a little amazing that I am practicing a profession that requires a graduate degree to practice in the United States. On Wednesday I went into the Global Healing clinic in the morning and bought food for the Wednesday lunch conference before I went to pick up some donations from the Carnival Valor cruise ship. The security precautions at the cruise ship dock are pretty amazing and the cruise ship culture seems very alien to Roatan, but after a few hours of struggling I was able to drive out onto the dock to pick up a few boxes of donated clothing. The cruise ships play such a large role in Roatan's economy that it is almost offensive to suggest that
they should be outlawed, but it is a thought that crosses many visitor's minds. Peggy's clinic has been slower because we have only one volunteer doctor, and Betty is gone so the pharmacy is quiet and a little lonely. This weekend my girlfriend and father arrived from the States for a visit, so I am understandably distracted and will keep this update short. I look forward to getting better at the pharmacy job and learning more about the drugs that we use here.