Saturday, March 08, 2008

Rose Journal 1

So here concludes my first week. I was excited to quickly find out that my position here is not just observing but that I am able to interact with the patients and do my share. I don't think I knew quite what I was getting into when I signed up for this program so I am happily surprised to see how much I am actually able to do and learn here. All this week the only doctor has been Dr. Lydia which has given me a nice slow start to get used to doing triage. Maybe, too slow at times as right now I am taking a spare minute at the clinic to write this journal entry! I have settled into the job quite easily and feel fully ready for next week when Rebbecca gets back and the number of patients coming into our office is sure to double.

This week there was a strike Monday through Wednesday. Basically the only people still working were all the doctors and nurses as it was the secretaries, maids, etc. that were striking. I got the lovely experience of trying to triage people and keep track of their data without charts. The hardest part about it was probably making sure that the patients that needed to be seen got into the office as there was really no way of keeping track of it. You just had to stick your head out the door and say "next" (in Spanish of course). Our number of patients those three days was very low because no one wanted to come to the hospital when there was a strike going on. I think on Tuesday we only had two, total, one of whom was "no contesta". It was sad to see how little people were getting care because of the strike and it is my hope that the people who didn't come here went to Clinica Esperanza.

I've learned a few cool things this week. Lydia taught me how to hook up a kid to a nebulizer (easy but I'd never done it before) and showed me about the importance of having accurate growth charts. I see newborns almost every day, most of them healthy, which always makes me smile. I'm also getting the hang of deciphering patient's symptoms in Spanish. They usually all have similar symptoms and I've learned the words gripe and calentura. I'm also getting the hang of all the abbreviations in Spanish. For example, a urinary tract infection (UTI) is an IVU and an upper respiratory infection (URI) is an IRU.

I also had the opportunity to go to the local daycare with Lydia and assist with check-ups there. The kids were not too excited to interrupt their play time to get measured, weighed, and... well you know fully examined... but Lydia has a certain charisma with children and the check-ups went well. While Lydia was doing certain parts of the examinations she closed the door for privacy and I had a chance to interact with the kids and watch the women that work there do their best to keep the rowdy ones under control. It was actually amazing to watch them preside over the children, handling every dispute with a few quick words.

This weekend I plan to explore the island a bit more and hopefully visit my friend in Punta Gorda. I am finishing up this journal entry back at Peggy's house and over the course of the night a storm blew in. The waves splash right up to the stairs of her house and the wind is deafening. All the laundry was blown off the line and into the storm. I sit in awe, watching the waves and the amazing power that they possess.