Monday, March 31, 2008

Rose Journal 3

It was fabulous having Semana Santa off from work, and I spent a lot of time on the beach. The enormous influx of vacationers that come for the week before easter is amazing. West End turned into an entirely different place and the prices at restaurants and for water taxis sky-rocketed. One of my friends from the States visited, and I showed him all over the island. I also spent lots of time snorkling and eating very, very well.

The clinic opened Monday for the first time since Semana Santa. We were fairly busy, but not to the level I had expected. I'm not sure what I was expecting (perhaps a flood of people or a swarm, like locusts?) but the week ended up being fairly normal and only a little bit busy. Monday we saw our usual array of scabies, gripe, and ear infections. Tuesday was not too much more exciting. Wednesday was an altogether different day, at least for me. I got violently ill for the first time ever while traveling and spent the entire day at home in absolute misery. I think the culprit was the hospital cafeteria lettuce that I had eaten the day before. Rebecca and Lidia did a wonderful job triaging without me, though, and apparently the day went on sin mi. Rebecca also did a presentation on fluids that day and Lidia drove all the way to French Harbor to buy nachos for the social service doctors.

Friday was Rebecca's last day in the clinic, a very sad day for Lidia and me. She was a fantastic attending and working with her every day was great. She made sure to show me points of interest, including her own ear when she contracted an ear infection. Lidia, Rebecca, and I all went out to pizza at Bella Napoli's to commemorate the occasion.

Friday also brought drama concerning my visa. It had been my understanding that visas in Honduras were good for 90 days, or at least that you were legally allowed that amount of time. however, when I had come through customs last month they only gave me 30 days. Looking at my passport I could see no indication of this time limit and decided that I might be okay without renewing it. Luckily, Lidia encouraged me to go into Immigration and talk to them, because, when we went, they informed me that if I had waited any longer I would have had to pay a 1,600 Lempira fine. Instead, I had to pay $40 to extend the visa for two more months. Lidia always keeps me out of trouble.

Saturday Alice and Howard flew in and took all the clinic folks out to dinner at the Argentinian Grill. The new attending, Dr. Sabio and his wife were also there. They seem really great and I look forward to working with them next week. Dr. Sabio is a native Spanish speaker which is absolutely essential when seeing patients in the clinic.