Sunday, July 20, 2008

Dawn Journal 4

15 July – 20 July

I can't believe this is my last entry! Time has flown by—especially because this past week has been rather eventful.

On Tuesday, I got really violently ill and spent the night throwing up everything –including water that I tried to drink. Peggy said that this same sickness had hit a bunch of volunteers a little while ago and that it usually took a few days to recover from. It was pretty awful but I managed to make it into clinic the next day to show Mia around. We spent the next few days getting Mia oriented and by Friday, she was completely in charge and running the show herself.

On Friday, because Mia had triaging under control, I got to shadow the three doctors on their rounds in the ward. It was great to be able to see the rest of the hospital, albeit a bit depressing. All of the equipment (even beds and curtains) seemed to have a thick layer of grime and rust on them. The pediatric ward had cribs that reminded me of rusted prison bars. The patients were upbeat though – I saw mothers with their newborns, a three year old with fractured fingers, a 9 month old with a severe burn on his face, and a 4 year old with a history of seizures.

Mia has also been volunteering at the orphanage with me, and the children seem to really like her. We continue to help them with their schoolwork and reading practice and I've noticed that the children have come to accept their study time as routine. When I first started working with them, there was no defined schedule and they were quick to resist any attempts towards work. Now, they come right down from their nap at 2 and are ready to start working with us. In my opinion, routines are definitely something children need.

Tomorrow I'll start work at La Clinica Esperanza – the clinic that Peggy runs. It'll be interesting to be able to compare the two environments and systems in which things are run. I'm looking forward to the experience.

Anyhow, I've really enjoyed my time here in Roatan and have learned loads. I'm confident that I want to enter the field of medicine (especially pediatrics) and have strengthened my desire to work in international health. Best of luck to Mia (you'll do great!) and the rest of the volunteers.