Monday, August 18, 2008

Stephanie Journal 1

I arrived last Sunday, sleepy and jetlagged, and was thrown into the Roatan environment. I'm staying at Miss Peggy's in Sandy Bay in her downstairs apartment, right at the edge of the ocean between two docks. Everyone has been great - the volunteers from Clinica Esperanza, Mia who left yesterday, Miss Peggy, and the staff at the clinic. At first, I was very anxious in the clinic, but after 3 days with Mia, I am ready to tackle the clinic on my own. It's smaller than I had imagined, but it's been a great experience shadowing the doctors, and as I get faster at paperwork and triaging, I get more and more time to shadow and talk to the doctors. Doctora Prado is the Honduran fellow in the clinic, and she's been very helpful, especially with translations from English to Spanish. There are a lot of medicines, treatments, and illnesses that have abbreviations or names that I do not know/understand because it's in Spanish. She's been really patient with me. Dra Tiyyagura is a pediatrician from New York and she's also been great to shadow and learn from.

I had heard so much about the clinic before I got here, and even seen a lot of pictures, but when I got here it seemed very foreign. It's great to be in this environment - where volunteers like Dra Tiyyagura and myself can help a large number of people - even if it's only seeing 20-25 patients a day. Most of my patients are under the age of 5, and they're almost always accompanied by their mothers (sometimes fathers). The people have been patient with my Spanish, which has an accent and is sometimes hard to understand compared to their Spanish. For me, it's easier to understand an American speak Spanish than a Hispanic person speak Spanish, and I think that's a bit ironic.

On my time off, I've been continuing the work at the orphanage. Mia told me about the improvement that Dawn started and that she has continued. I hope that Allen and I can keep going to the orphanage to help with their schoolwork. After the orphanage, I usually go fishing on the dock or kayaking in the ocean. Although I know my priority is in the clinic, it's been nice to have time off in the late afternoons to relax because I wake up early to go to clinic again. I've kinda caught a "fishing bug" and I go almost everyday :) Catching fish and then eating your catch is pretty satisfying, even if it's only a tiny fish!