Monday, August 25, 2008

Stephanie Journal 2

The first week, I needed a bit of transition time, but I think I am pretty comfortable with my island life now. The clinic has been very interested, especially once I got a hang of the Spanish, medical terms, and pharmaceuticals with their Spanish names. It is a bit like a routine - we get a lot of Upper Respiratory Infections (or IRAs in Spanish), flus (gripe), scabies (escabiosis), impetigo (impetigo), and dermatitis (dermatitis). It's been very interesting watching Dra Sri and Dra Prado apply their knowledge to these cases. A lot of the time, it really depends on the family and therefore the drugs prescribed can be more or less, depending on how much the doctors think that they will comply to it.

There was one interesting child with dextrocardia. Her heart was on the right side of her body, although the rest of her organs were on the right side. There's another condition called Situs Invertus when everything that is normally right is on the left and vice versa, so everything is inverted. It's extremely uncommon, therefore I was lucky to even meet a little girl with this condition! She was really adorable and friendly.

Mondays are the busiest day, so we had a ton of patients then. Apparently, they have not been paid since 2004 and have only been given some "bonuses" but the hospital still owes them a lot of money so the nurses are unhappy. On Tuesday, the nurses went on strike at the hospital so the last week was pretty slow because the nurses were not sending patients to our clinic. Now some other workers.

The kids at the orphanage are having a spelling test in 2 weeks. They need to learn how to spell Roatan, flowers, dolphin, today, boy... and other words that they know how to say, but don't know how to spell. It's really frustrating because the kids themselves get frustrated. I don't blame them - I think that they are behind in school because they were homeschooled for a long time. The other thing is that the English/Spanish transition is confusing. The kids all speak English, but they also learn Spanish in school. Therefore the keep getting their "e"s and "i"s mixed up because "i" sounds like EEEEE in spanish. It's heartbreaking because the kids want to go play and don't want to study this difficult material, but I know that it's something we need to help them with.

I visited West Bay for the first time yesterday. It is SUCH A BEAUTIFUL BEACH. The water is turquoise and the sand is white. The water is warm with some cold currents running through it which feel so good when you're snorkleing. I've never been snorkeling before so doing it in Roatan has been a new experience. There were a lot of jellyfish at West Bay, so I was pretty afraid of getting stung. I didn't exactly want to find out the hard way whether these jellyfish were the stinging kind (I have a pretty limited knowledge of marine wildlife) so I definitely avoided those when I could, sometimes kicking them away with my flipper. I got to see a sea snake (which scared the life outta me), two huge barracudas (which also scared the life out of me), beautiful parrot fish, and lots of other interesting wildlife.

I'm slowly, but surely, getting over my fear of the open water and using my Spanish!